Friday, May 3, 2013

Update! May 3, 2013

Thank you for your continued prayers...here is an update in my mom's words...be blessed!

Psalm 46:10  "Be still and know that I am God" is becoming more and more a part of my daily life.  God speaks to me in small ways, through experiences, and other people that God's will will be done, in His way, in His time.  As I wrote earlier, the insurance company denied coverage of my chemo drug.  My oncologist immediately appealed their decision, but the appeal process would not be completed by the time my prescription needed to be filled.  I was told the retail price would be about $12000. Yikes!!!  Before I got on the phone to call the insurance company I prayed that God would find a way to get the drug covered.  I don't think God wants us to sit and do nothing, but I do know that He expects us to trust Him with the outcome.  I talked with several people, all very nice, all unable to do anything, or direct me to anyone who could.  I am ashamed to admit that I have quite a history of being demanding, sarcastic, and down right rude when I feel frustrated that I am not getting anywhere.  I had asked God to guide me, and guard my tongue, He did, no harsh words were spoken!  I pleaded, I cried, but no harsh words.  I had exhausted my options.  I was with my daughter at the time, and she asked what I would do.  We prayed, and talked about how it was time to let go and let God work through the details.  In the mean time, I would have to buy the drug a few days at a time hoping and praying that it would eventually be covered.  On the way to the pharmacy, (see God's timing?) my son called asking who had told us the price would be $12000.  He had done some research and found that the wholesale cost of the drug was about $2100 a month, and suggested that I ask the pharmacy if I could pay my insurance company's negotiated price instead of full retail.  I got to the pharmacy, and spoke with a very kind, caring pharmacist.  A few phone calls later she agreed to charge me only the negotiated price with the understanding that if the appeal was denied, I would be responsible for the full retail price.  I bought three days worth of drug, ($719), to get to Monday, praying that we would have approval by then.  That afternoon, my oncologist's office called to let me know that the denial had been reversed, and my drug was approved for two years!  YEAH GOD!!!!!!!!!!!  I was told to go back to the pharmacy, where I would get a refund, and get my full prescription filled.  I wish that was the end of the story, but God had more story to write.  When I got to the pharmacy I was told the the approval had not gone through for CVS, but only for a specialty mail order pharmacy, which could not get the drug to me until Monday afternoon.  The same kind, caring pharmacist spent 2 1/2 hours one the phone trying to get an override.  At 5:30pm she needed to go home, and said she would work on it more on Monday.  She commented on how amazed she was that I had been so patient and not lost my temper.  It was a wonderful opportunity to share how I was trusting God, and that it was not me keeping myself under control, but rather HIM!  I got in my car thanking God for the opportunity to share about His work in my life, when I saw the pharmacist running out the door toward me shouting "Ann, Ann, come back inside."   She had received approval for a one time override, allowing her to fill my prescription, refund the $719 I had already paid, and charge me only my co-pay which is $75.  But it gets even better, I have copayment assistance from the drug company which pays a portion of my copay.  My final cost was $15!!!!  From $12000 to $15 in less than three days.  God is so good!  What did I learn from all this... wait on God, trust in His timing, let God work through me to do what I can and trust Him with the rest, God uses a multitude of situations and people to accomplish His will , never miss an opportunity to share how God is working, have patience, and I could go on and on.  God deserves all the glory.  Collectively we asked, and He answered.  He always does.
 
Thank you so much for your continued prayer and support .  In the midst of a May snowfall we are believing in spring.  As the weather warms and new life sprouts may you know that God is always with you, in the big things and the little.  May you hold fast and trust in Him.
May you be blessed as you have blessed me,
Annie 

No comments:

Post a Comment